Monday, January 9, 2012

Recipe to get over a cold.

It always seems as if there will be some slight road block in the way to fitness. This week's culprit? A stinkin cold.... After two days straight of snowboarding (and some sore legs) I fell asleep before trying to go to yoga-- woke up with my body saying "not so fast". Well here's the deal. I find if you LET yourself feel sick, you're going to feel sick. If you acknowledge that you're body isn't feeling the greatest, and start to take care of it, and yet basically IGNORE the fact you're sick, you can still get many things accomplished. I'm not letting this cold get in my way of doing what I love, staying active, however I'm also not going to let my active lifestyle make this cold stay longer than it should. Here's my tips on taking care of yourself with a cold.
1. VITAMIN C, I take 1,000mg every day, but when I have a cold, I double that (plus what's found in my other multi-vitamins I take.)
2. Echinacea, as soon as I start feeling those symptoms, I add a pill of echinacea to my daily vitamins, and make sure to sip echinacea tea as my bed-time ritual.
3. Orange juice! Except I drink Tropicana 50, less calories and sugar. I get hydration, AND vitamin C, and yummy yummy juice.
4. Hydrate! I always am sipping liquids when I start getting sick, I try to avoid coffee, and stick to herbal tea. My main hydration is soup, OJ, water, and herbal tea.
5. REST. This means I try to get around 9 hours of sleep a night when I'm sick, gotta let that body recover.
6. Harry Potter..... yep, I always watch Harry Potter when I'm sick, and it ALWAYS helps :)
7. If my symptoms are too bad (sinus pressure) I'll take Tylenol cold and sinus, I swear by that stuff!
8. Finally I try to not let my silly cold get in the way too much of my life. I still go to the gym, however I lesson my work outs intensely. I'll cut out cardio completely and focus on a lighter regime. I like to also do more yoga when I'm sick, I'm excited to see how Bikram helps me feel better.
I find if you focus on the fact you're sick, you're going to feel sick. Go about your life, get stuff done, and make sure you're taking care of your body at the same time! When you get better, make sure you acknowledge the hard work your body has done at fighting off that crap, and show your appreciation.
That's my recipe for getting over a cold :)

No comments:

Post a Comment